Frequently Asked Questions

What is excise duty?
Excise duty is the tax added to petrol by the NZTA to cover new roads and maintenance. It is currently 80 cents per litre (including GST).

Who is entitled to a petrol refund?
Businesses that use petrol in machinery off the public road are entitled to claim back the road tax portion of their petrol cost. Currently this is 80c per litre (including GST).

Why wouldn’t my accountant be doing this for me?
Accountants typically don’t process petrol refunds. They are specialists at dealing with the IRD for income and GST purposes. The complexities of the NZTA claim process would mean that in many cases the accountant’s fees would be more than the refund.

NZ Petrol Refunds specialises in processing these claims so we have developed an extremely efficient system to maximise the refund to our customers.

What is involved in making a claim?
We gather the required information from you, such as machinery details, fuel usage and company information.

We take this, collate and analyse it, run it through our system and create a refund application that contains everything the NZTA requires, in the format they prefer.

It takes up to a couple of months for the claim to be processed by the NZTA. The money is then paid into our company account and forwarded to you minus our fees.

How much can I expect to get back?
As a rough guide, if you are using 50 litres per week in off-road equipment or vehicles, your first claim would be around $2,700 (assuming you can provide us with records going back two years). Then you could look forward to an ongoing refund of $365 every three months.

What are your fees?
We take our fees out of your refund. No refund, no fee. There is no upfront cost.

NZ Petrol Refunds charges a one-off $379 new client establishment fee which covers our initial information gathering and registering you with the NZTA. This will be deducted from your first tax refund. After that we simply take a 17.5% commission out of the money we get back for you. All fees are exclusive of GST.
All our fees and commissions are fully tax deductible.

How far back can I claim?
Two years.

Can I claim for diesel?

Do I need to keep all my receipts from now on?
Yes, unless you use a fuel card. In which case we can usually liaise directly with your fuel company.

I get bulk farm delivery. Can I still claim?

I buy my fuel in containers from a service station. Can I claim?
No problem – just keep all your receipts.

Will you keep claiming for me moving forward?
Yes. We will claim for you automatically at the end of every quarter. We make everything as easy as possible for our clients. We’ll contact you for a quick chat about your recent usage. And then you just sit back and wait for the money.

Can I take over claiming once you have set us up?
Yes, if you prefer.


To claim your petrol tax refund, call us on

09 777 2030

or fill in your details. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Daytime Phone

Your Message